Business leaders and Platform members present the Compact to the Danish Minister for Climate, Energy and Buildings and the Brazilian Ambassador on 12 March 2012
What is the Compact?
With growing business interest in the management of natural capital over the last year, members of the Natural Capital Leaders Platform have developed a ground-breaking 'Natural Capital Leadership Compact'. This is a business statement of intent that also urges international governments to commit to a global policy framework on the responsible and sustainable use of natural resources.
The Compact has been fed into the UN Rio+20 policy-making processes and is currently generating significant interest among companies with recognised global brands who want to show their support for its bold business commitments. The Leadership Compact is based on the outcomes of practical collaboration within the Platform over the last 18 months to identify innovative business solutions that address natural capital challenges globally.
The Commitment by Businesses
The Leadership Compact’s commitments recognise that we do not have 20 more years to debate what needs to be done. The businesses' pledges cover:
- Operating within the limits of natural systems
- Identifying and addressing externalities (un-costed impacts on people and the environment from the production and consumption of products and services)
- Enabling consumers to make better-informed choices
- Developing rigorous and realistic targets and plans
By signing the compact companies agree to demonstrate their commitment by:
- sharing their experience and learning in the four key areas for business through the international network of the Natural Capital Leaders Platform
- meeting once a year to discuss their progress and share their learning at events in America, Europe and Asia
- engaging at senior level with national, regional and international governments through the Natural Capital Leaders Platform to press for action