Programme Director – Sustainable Finance
How, in practice, can we create a financial system that incentivises and rewards long-term thinking?
This agenda-setting question has inspired over 50 of the world's top investors, banks and insurance companies across five continents to join a portfolio of finance industry groups convened by CISL (www.cisl.cam.ac.uk/finance). We are looking for an exceptional individual, who is deeply motivated by this portfolio's mission, to direct its work.
A purpose-driven department of the University, CISL seeks to empower leaders to tackle critical global challenges. We do this by catalysing collective business action and through world-class educational programmes, both informed by cutting-edge research. Our reputation in sustainable finance has led us to serving as knowledge partner to the G20 on green finance.
Reporting to the portfolio director, you will manage a core team of six, enabling them to develop and deliver the strategies and activities underpinning our finance industry groups to the highest possible standards. You will be responsible for member relations and sales, group facilitation, research collaborations, policy and industry partnerships, third-party funding and external profiling.
You will have the opportunity to drive an exciting range of projects from embedding long-termism in investment mandates, empowering the investing public with information on the impact of their capital and harnessing FinTech for sustainability to aligning bank business models with the needs of a zero carbon economy, financing sustainable agriculture and using insurance capabilities to achieve climate resilience in investments and regulation. You will be a compelling advocate of our work, able to grow our memberships and inspire partners to support our thinking.
You will be a proven self-starter and problem solver and your familiarity with the finance sector will earn you instant credibility with the industry. You will demonstrate an ability to empower companies to take practical leadership on global challenges.
In addition, the following attributes are essential:
- Strategic and systems thinking skills to translate visions of finance sector leadership into action
- Ability to deliver tangible outcomes, including prudent financial performance, through teams and partners using both coaching and management techniques
- Ability to lead facilitation of groups, helping leaders reach consensus on complex challenges
- Ability to lead complex negotiations without supervision
- Ability to inspire finance sector leaders, across a range of external platforms
- Exceptional communication skills in English (others welcome), making the complex accessible
- Ability to improve operational performance of a small, dynamic and fast-paced team
- Qualification to at least degree level or equivalent
The following attributes are desirable:
- Strong, international network across the finance sector
- Track record of harnessing academic research to support finance sector-led change
- Experience of engaging in the development of public policy or financial regulation
To apply online for this vacancy, please click here. This will route you to the University's Web Recruitment System, where you will need to register an account (if you have not already) and log in before completing the online application form.
If you have any questions about this vacancy please contact Nicola Wright, Head of HR & Business Services on firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are open to interest in a 1-2 year secondment from relevant organisations. Please contact email@example.com to explore further.